March 21, 2012
Disabling Startup Programs
How does it affect the performance ?If you disable programs from startingup when you boot up your computer you can make the entire start-up process quicker. The less items that have to be started, the faster your computer will boot up. If your computer does take a long time to start this could be the problem.It is common for programs to also check for updates every time you log in. Software usually gets updated once or twice a year, however it is checking for updates every time you start your computer. I never recommend disabling automatic updates for windows, but other programs are OK. For example I have a photo editing program I do not use much so when I disable programs from starting, this is OK to disable.
How Can we do it ?
Msconfig is the command that brings up the system configuration utility.
Press the WINDOWS Key and ‘R’ or simply go to RUN by using Start Menu . After the run dialog box is open enter msconfig
When you have typed in msconfig into the run box the system configuration utility will appear.
- Once you have the system configuration window open, go to the startup tab.
- Here you will see a list of programs that will start when your computer starts. Simply un-tick the ones you don’t want.This will disable programs from starting.
- When you have finished choosing your programs, press apply and then OK.
Few PrecautionsHere are few precautions that you should keep in mind while disabling the programs ,
- Try not disable windows program and antivirus
- Try not to disable drivers like sound drivers etc.
- Try not to disable the program for which you are not sure .
Remember you can change the settings if you are not comfortable . Just open the MSCONFIG utility and tick the programs .