June 12, 2011
Setting Proxy For Dial-Up Connection
First of all let us know about the proxy ,
In computer networks, a proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application) that acts as an intermediary for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers. A client connects to the proxy server, requesting some service, such as a file, connection, web page, or other resource, available from a different server. The proxy server evaluates the request according to its filtering rules. For example, it may filter traffic by IP address or protocol. If the request is validated by the filter, the proxy provides the resource by connecting to the relevant server and requesting the service on behalf of the client. A proxy server may optionally alter the client’s request or the server’s response, and sometimes it may serve the request without contacting the specified server. In this case, it ‘caches’ responses from the remote server, and returns subsequent requests for the same content directly.
How to set up the proxy
At this point , let me tell you that you can setup proxy on any internet connection DSL , Dialup , ADSL , T1 etc . In order to setup proxy for dial-up connection , Connect to dial-up .
Here are the settings for known browsers
For Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox
- Go to Options
- Click on advance tab at the top of the dialog box
- Then click on network tab
- Click on settings button. Connection settings dialog box will appear
- Check Manual proxy configuration
- Enter proxy server IP address and port number
- If you want, check the box that says Use this proxy server for all protocols.
- Click Ok . Proxy is setup for the firefox , Now you just have to connect to dial-up and use firefox browser to use proxy to access internet
For Internet Explorer
- On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click theConnections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
- Under Proxy server, click to select the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.
- In the Address box, type the IP address of the proxy server.
- In the Port box, type the port number that is used by the proxy server for client connections (by default, 8080).
- You can click to select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box if you do not want the proxy server computer to be used when you connect to a computer on the local network (this may speed up performance).
- Click OK to close the LAN Settings dialog box.
- Click OK again to close the Internet Options dialog box.
Proxy Not Working
If the proxy is not working , or you can not connect to any website or there is no change in the speed of internet , this means the proxy is dead or either closed by the proxy server .