Many iPhone users don’t know that they can edit multiple PDF files right in the Files app. The Files app lets you merge, draw, highlight, add text, and sign PDF documents on iPhone. While the Files app isn’t powerful enough to let you rewrite text or change the design, you can make minor edits fairly easily.
If you want to make some advanced changes, third-party apps like Adobe Acrobat Pro and Foxit can get the job done. However, you may have to subscribe to premium versions of these apps to rewrite text.
Meanwhile, let’s see what edits you can make to PDFs with the built-in Files app.
How to draw and highlight on PDF
In the iPhone’s Files app, you can draw lines and highlight text in your PDF files in a variety of colors. A ruler is also available to allow you to draw straight lines. Here’s how you can draw and highlight on your PDF:
1. Open the Files app and tap the PDF file you want to edit.
2. Tap the marker icon in the corner of the screen. A toolbar with different pens and markers will appear.
3. Click the first marker to draw lines, use the highlighter next to it to mark, etc…
4. You can select the dot at the end to choose the exact color you want from the options Grid, Spectrum and Sliders different available. If you want to choose a color available on the PDF, tap the dot and select the icon Eyedropper at the top left.
How to add or remove pages from a PDF file
This feature doesn’t have a prominent desktop icon, so you might not even know it exists, but you can add and remove pages, change their order, insert blank pages, scan Additional pages and rotate pages in PDF files in Files.
Follow these steps to do so:
1. After opening the PDF file you want to edit in Files, tap anywhere in the top left corner. A sidebar showing all the pages of the PDF file will appear.
2. An alternative method to make the sidebar appear is to swipe right on the screen.
3. When the sidebar appears, you will see the first page of the selected PDF, showing an icon with 3 horizontal dots. Click it.
4. You can now choose from different options to rotate, insert or scan a page.
5. If you want to change the order of the pages in your PDF file, touch and hold on the page you want to move. Then drag it up and down the sidebar, and then release it where you want the page to be.
How to merge files to form a single PDF file
You can add photos and export other PDF files to the Files app. Once all of them are there, combining them all into one PDF is quite a simple task. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Files app.
2. Tap the icon with three horizontal dots in the top corner of the screen.
3. Select Select.
4. Select all the files you want to merge together.
5. Tap the icon with three horizontal dots at the bottom of the screen and click Create PDF. This will automatically create a new PDF file that you can rename and edit within the app.
How to add text and sign PDF files
You can’t use the default iPhone apps to edit, replace, or add new text along with existing text on a PDF to make the new text look like the original, but the Files app lets you add custom documents. small text boxes that you can move and place on different parts of the screen. You can even put your signature anywhere you like. Here are the steps to do so:
1. Use the Files application to open the PDF file you want to edit.
2. Tap the marker icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
3. Select the plus icon (+) on the toolbar that appears at the bottom. You will see three different options appear: Text, Signature and Magnifier.
4. Click Text to add text, Signature to insert the signature and Magnifier to enlarge parts of a PDF file.
The Files app lets you make minimal edits to PDF files using your iPhone. You can highlight text in different colors, add text boxes, sign PDF files, rotate pages, etc. with just a few taps.
The Files app is great at allowing you to keep an organized record of all the PDFs you want to save and edit. This is certainly a handy tool, isn’t it?
Source link: How to edit PDF files with the Files app on iPhone